Friday, March 4, 2011

**Change of Plans**

The official "5K in 100 Days" site came out last night, and I've decided not to do that program for a few reasons, but the main two are this:

1)  I have to commit to three days per week of training for one hour each of those days, but the problem is - I work out at my clubhouse gym and the max. time on the treadmills is 20. min.  There are only four treadmills - well, three this week because one has been broken.  I've been able to grab 25 min. or 30 min. on them a couple times, but that's only if I go to the gym in the afternoon, but my usual schedule is in the morning, and there's no way I can hog a treadmill for an hour in the mornings because it's just too crowded at that time. I just don't want to start this program and then have to worry about not being able to do the training because I can't get the time I need on the treadmill. I know, at some point, I'll need to move outside for my workouts to be able to work up to a 5k, but for now I only plan on doing my training at the clubhouse gym, probably through April.

2)  A lot of the communication for the program is going to be through Twitter.  There will be a weekly Tweetchat for discussions and support.  Well, I don't have a Twitter account - nope, I'm not a "tweeter"!  I've never seen a tweet, and I have no idea how to tweet.  And while I've heard people love it - I have no desire to join Twitter.  It's just one more thing for me to get addicted to!  And I'm already pretty addicted to FB, and a whole bunch of great personal weight loss blogs, too!  So, with not being on Twitter, I feel like I'll kind of be out of the support loop with this program.

BUT this doesn't mean I'm giving up on my 5K!!!  A fellow blogger (you can see her awesome blog here: http://asmallloss.blogspot.com/ - she's lost 116 pounds so far, and is a runner!) mentioned the Couch-to-5K program the other day, so I looked it up last night, and I've decided to do that program.  Each session takes 20-30 minutes which will be doable for me at my gym, and I know I can push myself to do it!

AND I've signed up for my first 5K!  It's called the Sundowner 5K, and it will take place in July, so I have plenty of time to work my way up to running a 5K.  Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck. I think it's wise to look at all your options and choose what is right for you. I'd eventually like to do the 5K, but with the weight I'm carrying now (and my age) it might not be wise...down the road, perhaps. July is a good month to shoot for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couch 2 5K is what I did awhile back. Sorry, I thought you knew about it so I didn't recommend it to you sooner. I did tweak it sometimes when I didn't think I wasn't quite ready to move on (and I was doing it during a VERY HUMID summer which made it difficult :| I never made it to the full 3 miles straight because at about the 2 mile mark I started to not feel the benefits of running straight other than feeling exhausted, and started going back to sprinting and walking combo because I had heard it was better for you. I was in it for health and weight loss NOT personal goal so it didn't bother me not to finish. Before I started I couldn't run a block, but after a month or 2 I could run for my life for 2 miles if I had to so that made me pretty happy! : ) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Darla. I don't like dropping out of the program before I've even started it, but I didn't know all the facts until the official site came out last night, and it just doesn't seem like it will be a good fit for me. Thanks, again, for your support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jen. Yea, I had heard about the couch-to-5k (probably from you), but I'd forgot all about it until Mary brought it up to me the other day. And when I looked it up last night it seems like it will fit into my gym schedule much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I know you can do this. I've heard nothing but good stuff, too, about the Couch-to-5K thing. The other program did kind of limit you if you can't make one hour of time three hours a week and you don't Tweet (I can't do those things either) then it wouldn't get you where you needed to go. That's why finding something that works for YOOOOU is so important. Good luck! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 5K in 100 days looks like a great program, but it just doesn't seem like a good fit for my right now, but that's okay - I'm looking forward to trying out the Couch-to-5K!! Thanks for your support, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! I hope you enjoy the program, and running in general - it can be an amazing way to get out your stresses!!!

    ReplyDelete